It’s not as easy to make money as a graphic designer as it used to be. Now that people can use the internet to get free-or-cheap design work done, it can be hard for graphic designers to find jobs. But there are still ways to make money with your design skills, even if you aren’t working out of an office or studio. Here are some ideas for how you can monetize your skills:
- Sell Clothing with Your Designs
- Get Paid to Design Logos at 99designs
- Design Twitch Emotes
- Design Social Media Content
- Web Elements and Icons
- Creating Fonts
- Write Articles About Graphic Design on Medium
- Create Presentations for Money
- Design Emoji and Stickers
- Creating Printable Wall Art
- Where to Find Freelance Graphic Design Jobs
- How Much Money Do Graphic Designers Make?
- Tips for Beginners
- Key Graphic Design Tools
Sell Clothing with Your Designs
If you want to turn your graphic design hobby into a real business, Merch by Amazon is the way to go. Here’s how it works:
- Sign up for an account with Amazon and create a store. You’ll have access to their massive audience as well as all of their tools for managing inventory and sales.
- Upload your designs to the Merch by Amazon application (or use existing ones if they’re already available). These will appear on t-shirts that customers can purchase through Amazon’s site or app.
- Set prices based on how much you think people will pay for each item based on its quality, quantity sold in previous months/years, and other factors that affect pricing like seasonality or holiday sales trends.
Merch by Amazon earns money when someone clicks through from any source (including organic searches) and buys one of your designs from within an item listing page or after searching via keyword search terms outside the product detail pages themselves such as “graphic design.”
You can also sell your designs on sites like Etsy, Zazzle, and Society 6.
Get Paid to Design Logos at 99designs
If you want to get paid to design logos, a great place to start is 99designs. They are an online marketplace where designers compete for a client’s design brief—and the client pays the winning designer.
The best part about working with 99designs is that they take care of all the logistics and transactions so you don’t have to worry about collecting payments from clients or dealing with the headaches of tax forms. They even offer free marketing material like business cards, email templates and more!
You can make lots of money as a logo designer on 99Designs: one designer made over $110K on their first month freelancing with them! There are plenty of opportunities for growth as well such as becoming an elite member which allows you access more advanced features such as live competitions (where multiple clients will choose your designs instead) and receiving feedback from other designers via collaboration boards which give valuable insight into what makes good design good!
Design Twitch Emotes
Twitch emotes are a great way to make money on your own, and it’s so easy! All you need is a graphic design program (we recommend Adobe Photoshop) and the willingness to put in some work.
An emote is an icon that viewers can use in chat rooms. The icons are usually animated GIFs or static images that have been designed by artists and developers specifically for use within Twitch’s chat system. Each emote features its own unique animation or sound effect when someone uses it in chat—for example, if someone types “TriHard,” then their chat window will show an emoticon of a man wearing sunglasses jumping up and down while waving his hands in the air (the TriHard emote). Some emotes are created using Adobe Photoshop or Illustrator.
The first step is creating your emote template. You can use these templates as a starting point: https://www.template.net/editable/twitch-emote
Once you have your template, open it up in Photoshop, choose a color scheme and then start filling in your emote with icons or whatever else you want to include. It’s up to you! If you’re feeling creative, add some text or background images—the sky’s the limit! Just make sure that everything fits together well and looks professional before moving on to the next step.
Design Social Media Content
Social media is a great way to build connections and promote your business. Many people don’t know how to design a good-looking social media page, but they want one that looks professional and well-designed. That’s where you come in! You can design their pages and make money from them by charging them a fee for your services. It’s very simple to get started with this business model because all you need is some basic design software—such as Photoshop or Figma—and access to the internet.
The first step is finding out what type of content your client needs. Do they want an image that goes with their text? Do they need a video? Are they looking for something else altogether? If so, what?
Once you know what kind of content your client wants created (and why), then it’s time to start creating!
You can also sell your designs online as digital downloads or templates for other people who want their social media pages designed.
Web Elements and Icons
Web elements are the building blocks of the web page, they include: text boxes, buttons, lists, labels, input fields etc. In short: anything that’s not text itself! These images should be created in vector format so that they can be scaled up or down without losing quality or pixelation.
Icons are symbols that represent an idea or concept, such as a magnifying glass or a trash can. They are used in websites, applications and other products that run on computers or mobile devices.
These elements and icons are often used on the web pages of your favorite sites like Facebook or Twitter, but they can also be found in advertising materials such as brochures or banners. The best part is that there are no limits on how much you can earn by designing these elements and icons!
Creating web elements and icons can be a great way to make money. You can create and sell your own images, or you can work for someone else who needs this kind of work done. The first step to making money from creating web elements and icons is to find out what kind of images are in demand. You want to create something that people will want to use on their websites, social media accounts, blogs, etc. A good place to start is by looking at other websites’ designs and seeing what they are using in their designs.
Once you have an idea for what kind of image you want to create, the next step is finding out how much people are willing to pay for the image. To do this, check out sites like GraphicRiver. They have listings for different types of web elements and how much they cost per license; this will allow you to know what type of web elements are in demand and how much people are willing to pay for them.
When you create these elements for yourself or for an employer, you can make money from them in a few ways:
- You can sell them to other companies or individuals who need them for their own websites or applications. You can also sell them through your own website or Etsy store if you have one.
- You can sell directly to clients who want to use them on their own websites. This may require more work than just making a few icons and selling them, but if you’re willing to put in the effort, it could be worth it!
- You can also offer your services as a freelancer in which case you would be paid hourly or per project by the client whose website needs graphics created for it
Fonts are a huge part of the design industry. If you’re looking to make money by creating fonts, there are several different ways that you can do so. First, it’s important to know what a font is and how it works. A font is a digital representation of a typeface. It’s essentially the digital version of what would be physically printed on paper or on a computer screen. It contains all of the information necessary to display text in that particular style—including details like spacing and kerning (space between letters).
As someone who wants to make money by creating fonts, there are several different options available for you:
- Sell your fonts directly through an online marketplace like Creative Market or My Fonts
- Create your own website where people can buy your fonts directly from you
- Use an affiliate program like Commission Junction or LinkShare.
Write Articles About Graphic Design on Medium
You can write about anything you want to on Medium. You don’t have to be a professional writer or graphic designer to contribute quality content. Your articles and posts should be relevant, interesting, and engaging for readers. If you’re writing about your experiences as a freelance graphic designer and how it’s going for you in the current market, that’s great! But try not to just talk about yourself all the time—inject some personality in there too. And if your writing is really good (and we know it will be), people will share it on social media—which means more eyeballs on your work and more potential clients!
You should also explore other topics related to graphic design such as creating logos, designing business cards, designing websites, designing flyers etc. The more topics you cover in your articles, the more chances are that someone will find them useful and hire you as their designer.
The good news is that this method of making money works well even if you don’t have any experience writing articles or blogging before! All you need is an idea for what you want to write about and then just start writing! You’re also not limited by length—you can write as much or as little as you’d like in each article and still get paid for all the views it gets!
Create Presentations for Money
Powerpoint presentations can be especially lucrative since they are often used by businesses who want something professional-looking but don’t want to pay full price for a custom presentation created by a professional graphics designer or team of designers, which can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars per presentation depending on its length and complexity.
There are many different types of presentations that can be made with different software, such as keynote or powerpoint. The most common type of presentation is a PowerPoint presentation where you can add pictures and text that will appear on each slide.
When you’re ready to start making money as a graphic designer online, visit one of these sites and look at their job listings:
Each listing will tell you what kind of Powerpoint presentation they want, how much they are willing to pay for it, and when they need it. You can also post your own ad on one of these sites if there aren’t any good jobs posted yet!
Design Emoji and Stickers
Emojis and stickers are becoming more popular than ever. They’re used all over social media platforms, such as Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp. They’re also part of the trend towards using more visual communication in general.
If you have a knack for creating digital art and enjoy using emojis, stickers, and emoticons in your everyday life, then you might be able to turn that interest into a side business. There are lots of ways to make money by creating emojis, stickers, and emoticons.
Emojis are those little cartoon faces that people use in text messages. You can make money by creating your own emoji sets for people to use on their phones or computers. You can also sell the rights to use your emoji set in other products like t-shirts or mugs.
Stickers are similar to emojis but often include more detail than an emoji does and they are bigger images that are often decorated with text or other images on top of them.. For example, there might be many different designs for each sticker or there could be multiple expressions for each sticker face (happy face with eye roll vs frowning face). You can make money by designing stickers for people’s phones or computers. You can use them just like you would use an emoji in a text message or on social media. You can also sell the rights to use your sticker set in other products like t-shirts or mugs.
Creating Emojis and stickers is simple. First, you will need a good image editing program like Adobe Photoshop or GIMP (free). Then, upload your design onto the website where you want people to buy your work (like Etsy). Once it’s uploaded, people can purchase it.
Creating Printable Wall Art
The process is simple. There are several ways that this can be done:
- You can use your own photos to create new designs
- You can use other people’s photos as inspiration and create new designs based on those photos
- You can create your own artwork from scratch using only your imagination (this is typically more difficult than using someone else’s photo as inspiration)
The first two options are probably easiest because they require less effort, but if you’re looking for something that’s truly original, then creating your own artwork from scratch will take much more time and energy.
Some people may want something really simple and quick while other people may want something that looks more elaborate with lots of different colors and patterns. So no matter what kind of person you are or what kind of space you have available for your wall art; there will always be something available for everyone!
Once you’ve created your printable wall art, all that’s left is uploading it to sites like Etsy or Society6 and selling them!
Where to Find Freelance Graphic Design Jobs
Freelance graphic design jobs are one of the most common ways to make money online, and they’re also one of the easiest to find. All you have to do is set up an account on following freelancing websites:
Then start searching through their available jobs. You can even create your own profile on these websites and upload your portfolio to get more work opportunities.
Once you find a job that looks like it would be a good fit for your skills and experience level, send out an application with a proposal for how much it will cost to complete the project. If they accept your bid and hire you, then congratulations! You’ve just found yourself some freelance graphic design work!
Freelance graphic designers have many options for where to find their next client. Here are some of the most popular ways:
- Offer your services for free (or at a discounted rate) as a way to build up your portfolio and network
- Network with other freelancers who have similar interests and skills so that they can refer you to new clients when they get work themselves
- Create an online portfolio website or blog where people can see examples of your work
- Search for job postings on LinkedIn and other sites. Freelance graphic designers often use these sites to post their work and find new clients. Many companies post their graphic design needs on these sites as well – so keep an eye out!
How Much Money Do Graphic Designers Make?
It’s hard to predict the exact amount of money that you will earn as a graphic designer because it depends on several factors such as the industry you work in, your skill level and experience level.
The graphic design industry has grown significantly over the last few years due to the increase in demand for graphic designers who can develop logos and websites for small businesses as well as large corporations.
Graphic designers make a wide range of salaries, depending on the industry and location. According to PayScale’s salary survey, the average graphic design salary in the United States is $48,097 per year. This salary is significantly higher than the median U.S. income of $28,555 per year and suggests that graphic designers are paid well for their work.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median salary for graphic designers in 2022 is $55,020. The lowest 10% of graphic designers earn less than $31,320 per year and the highest 10% of graphic designers make more than $82,160 annually.
Salaries vary by industry as well. The highest-paying industries for graphic designers include advertising agencies ($81K), software publishers ($74K), Web design firms ($70K) and entertainment ($69K). The lowest-paying industries are casinos ($41K), book publishers ($43K) and newspapers ($45K).
Tips for Beginners
Here are five tips for being successful in this field:
- Start small. You can start out by designing simple things like business cards or flyers, and then move on to more complex projects over time. This will help you earn money while also getting experience in the field of graphic design so that when you’re ready for bigger projects, they’ll be easier to handle due to your familiarity with the process!
- Learn to use Photoshop. It’s the industry standard, and it will get you far. You should learn how to use it from the ground up. You don’t have to master it immediately, but if you can’t even open the program yet, then you may want to consider another career path!
- Practice your design skills. You don’t have to be an artist, but if you’re going to be charging clients by the hour or day, then they’ll expect something pretty great out of you. It’s best practice to create something every day that tests your abilities as a designer so that when someone comes along who needs these services done quickly and professionally (and they will!), then they’ll know exactly who they need on their team!
- Stay up-to-date with trends. One of the most important aspects of being successful as a graphic designer is staying current with what’s happening in the world today. Trends change all the time; sometimes it feels like every week there’s some new thing that’s taking over social media feeds everywhere!
- Be creative. It’s important to have strong creative skills when you’re working as a graphic designer. You’ll need to be able to come up with new ideas, such as designing logos or slogans, creating advertisements, or even creating an entire brand image for your company.
- Treat every client like they’re your only client. It may sound obvious, but it’s important to keep in mind that you are providing a service for a price. The more value you provide for your clients, the more likely they are to come back and hire you again
Key Graphic Design Tools
- Canva is a cloud-based graphic design platform that makes it easy to create any type of graphic, from a simple image to a full-blown presentation. Canva’s free online design tool has over a million stock images and templates that you can use to get started right away. You can also upload your own photos or use text boxes to add text to your designs. You can even use Canva’s drag-and-drop functionality to rearrange elements on your canvas at will.
Canva is a powerful and easy-to-use graphic design tool that allows you to create awesome designs without having to be an expert in Photoshop. It comes with hundreds of different templates, fonts, and images (including royalty-free ones) that you can use to make your designs stand out!
- Figma is an online graphic design tool that allows you to create vector graphics, edit them in real time, collaborate with others on designs and share them as easily as sending an email. The biggest difference between Figma and other graphic design apps is that it gives users the ability to create vector based designs rather than rasterized images like those created in Photoshop or Sketch. This means that you can scale up or down without losing quality, making it ideal for creating logos and icon sets for websites and apps among other things.
- Photoshop is an industry standard for creating high-quality graphics, illustrations and photos. It’s used by professionals all over the world because it offers advanced features that allow users to create high-quality images from scratch or edit existing ones. The tool offers many features such as image editing, text effects, 3D modeling and more!
Photoshop is one of the most well-known image editing programs out there—and one of the best! With Photoshop, you can edit photos, create logos or other graphics from scratch, and even manipulate existing images into something completely new.
In conclusion, becoming a successful graphic designer can be rewarding both financially and professionally. Having the right combination of knowledge, skills, creativity and hard work is key to earning a living as a graphic designer. Utilizing tools like freelancing websites, social media and portfolio sites can also help to increase visibility in the design community and reach potential clients. With determination and dedication, any creative person has the potential to make money as a graphic designer.